I’m leaving Twitter, Facebook and Instagram today. I want to explain why without writing a long rant. 😉 Here I go… *draws in deep breath*
- I believe social media platforms are destroying everything that brings out the best in us: empathy, human connection and the ability to see things in context.
- I believe the corporations that run social media platforms have only one goal: to make as much profit as possible, no matter the consequences for human dignity and our democracies.
- I believe these corporations will never change their ways unless people stand up for their rights. That’s what I’m doing. I’m disconnecting until they do better. (They already know better.)
- I believe the internet and technology can be a positive force in our lives. We don’t have to put up with this shit. We are in this shithole because the people at the corporations mentioned above made a conscious choice to do things this way. We can embrace human dignity with technology rather than destroy it. We just have to choose to do things differently.
What I will be doing to support a better (online) world:
- I will no longer supply these corporations with interactions on their platforms, our interactions, that they can study in an effort to predict our future behavior and then sell it to the highest bidder.
- I have joined an independent, Belgian privacy watchdog ‘the Ministry of Privacy.’ As a board member, I will help this non-profit raise awareness among citizens, and will strive to hold corporations and governments that violate our privacy laws accountable.
- I will continue to run my own community with respect for human dignity and connection. No addictive notifications on your phone, no creepy algorithms to keep you ‘engaged’, no spying trackers and no annoying ads.
- I will pivot as a marketer. From now on, I will try to convince fellow marketers to invest in trust-based relationships with their customers. Too many of us have reduced human beings to a set of numbers in a spreadsheet or a reporting dashboard. We must do better. We must become ‘humane marketers’.
Okay, that’s it! *blows out breath*
If you’d like to hear more about this, let me know in the comments. If you have any questions, let me know in the comments. If you’d like to get some book tips on all of this……. You can guess: let’s chat in the comments. 😉
A first great link: https://humanetech.com