The Lesbian Romantic Podcast has reached its first half million downloads! After 2.5 years of podcasting, with 106 episodes released, I am thrilled with this milestone.
For most of us indie podcasters, growing an audience is a long-term adventure. We don’t have media budgets or existing networks to promote our work.
Not giving up pays off, though. I saw my number of downloads grow from 1 to 10 per day, to 100 per day and finally over 1000 per day.
The Lesbian Romantic now reaches thousands of people across the globe every week. It also has a very active listener community on its website.
The podcast is listener-funded. Since March 2017, listeners can pitch in to make sure the podcast can keep going. While still far from profitable, contributions continue to grow.
I will continue to focus on creating the podcast by myself. Sure, it’s often a bit lonely (right, fellow podcasters?), but the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. I like the independence.
Today, I decided to share this post to encourage my fellow podcasters not to give up. I most certainly will reread it on days I feel discouraged ;). Podcasting is a lot of work.
Here are my tips to keep going:
- Accept that growth will most likely be slow
- Cherish feedback, but keep doing your own thing
- Focus on your core listeners. They will tell you where to go when you need advice
- Consistency is key. Deliver as promised. Do the best you can to stick to that release schedule
- Don’t expect the money to come rolling in. It won’t. Think of it as a marathon, not a sprint
- Join podcaster discussion groups. You’ll feel less alone. Also: listen to The Feed Podcast by Libsyn even if you are not a customer
- Never forget what made you choose your topic and this format. Keep your focus.
Last but not least, a heartfelt thank you to my fellow romantics of the community and all listeners across the globe. Your support keeps me going!
One last special thanks to Muriel, my wife. Without her encouragement, I would have given up by now.
This podcast is listener-funded.
Keep it going with your support!
2018 Funding Goal Status:
Pay with a credit card or Paypal. It’s secure & SSL encrypted.
About The Lesbian Romantic
The Lesbian Romantic Podcast is a lesbian fiction podcast. It brings lesbian romance stories as an immersive audiobook. New episode every Tuesday.
💜 Dear fellow romantic,
I'm on a mission to make people smile. That's why I share my stories freely: so everyone has access to them.
As a crowdfunded and queer creator, I humbly ask for your support to help me keep going in 2021. Every dollar makes a huge difference.